2012 Inter B Reports

Senior Reserve C Quarter-Final – Kilcullen 2-6 St.Laurence’s 3-9 – Mon 20th August 2012

St.Laurence’s came through this tough quarter final clash, but were made to work for the result against a resilient Kilcullen side.  The game was very even early on, but the Rags suffered a cruel early blow when Fergus Aspell had to depart the action with a bad finger injury.    Despite the balance of play being very even, Laurence’s were more clinical in front of goal than the Rags, and took a 2-5 to 0-4 half-time lead.   However, Kilcullen knew despite the deficit that they were well in the game. They came firing out of the blocks in the second half with substitute David Mitchell grabbing two goals to narrow the gap to a single point.   Within a few minutes though, Larries struck a killer blow when veteran Liam Miley finished clinically for his second goal of the game.   The Rags reacted well to narrow the gap to two points, but Laurence’s finished the game very strongly to take a 3-9 to 2-6 win.
Best for Kilcullen was Dwayne O’Connor who defended excellently and worked tirelessly thoughout, Mark Dooley was excellent in goals pulling off a number of point blank saves to keep the Rags in the game, while Willie Jones and David Keane also did well.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  M.Dooley;  G.Kenny, M.Murphy, D.Stokes;  J.Lynch, F.Aspell, D.O’Connor;  M.Kelly(0-2f), D.Hickey(Capt);  D.Keane(0-2), W.Jones(0-1), J.Caplis;  D.Neill(0-1), K.Kelly, G.Kelly.
Suns Used:  T.Shanahan, R.Clarke, D.Mitchell(2-0), A.Timmons.

Senior Reserve C Championship – Kilcullen 4-7 Ellistown 1-7 – Tue 7th August 2012

A blistering first half performance by Kilcullen was enough to ensure victory in this championship contest, which will hopefully be enough to ensure qualification to the knock-out stages.   The Rags dominated the first half, putting together some excellent attacking moves that the Ellistown defence couldn’t cope with.   They racked up a 4-5 to 1-3 half-time lead with goals from Aidan Carroll, Shane Lambe, Shay Pembroke and Ger Kelly, aswell as some well-taken points.
Kilcullen struggled to match their excellent first half intensity in the second period, and Ellistown had chance to work themselves back into the game, but were wasteful in attack, missing a number of good chances.   Although, credit has to go the Kilcullen defence who weren’t making life easy for the opposition attack.   The Rags saw off the Ellistown period of dominance to finish the game strongly, although they will disappointed not to have taken a few more scoring opportinities themselves in the second half.    However, it was a good all round team performance and convincing win.
Man of the match for Kilcullen was Willie Jones, who worked tirelessly at centre forward, while Gary Kenny, Michael ‘Hook’ Kelly and Shane Lambe also did well.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  M.Dooley;  D.Stokes, M.Murphy, G.Kenny;  J.Caplis, J.Lynch, D.O’Connor;  M.Kelly(0-1), D.Hickey(Capt);  A.Carroll(1-2), W.Jones, S.Lambe(1-2);  S.Pembroke(1-1), G.Kelly(1-0), D.Neill(0-1).
Subs Used:  D.Mitchell, K.Kelly, R.Clarke, A.Timmons.

Senior Reserve C Championship – Kilcullen 0-7 Sallins 2-11 – Mon 23rd July 2012

Kilcullen suffered an opening round championship defeat to a strong Sallins team in the is contest played in Naas.    The rain arrived just before the start of this game, and this certainly didn’t lend itself to good football.   This won’t bother Sallins who adapted better to conditions, and took a 0-6 to 0-3 half-time lead, and they probably should have been further ahead.    The Rags would have been relatively happy at the break to have played poorly in the first half, and only been 3 points down.  Kilcullen were better in the second half, with the substitutes having an impact.  However, Sallins found the net, and it was a big uphill task from there for Kilcullen.    Kilcullen were on top at stages during the half, and with 6 points between the sides Ger Kelly spurned a good goal chance, and Sallins went straight down the field and found the net themselves, and there was no way back from there.    The Rags continued to attack but Sallins were catching them on the break and could have had a third goal but for an excellent save from Mark Dooley.    Sallins went on to record a deserved 2-11 to 0-7 win, and Kilcullen know a much better performance is needed against Ellistown next week, to avoid an early championship exit.   Fergus Aspell and Willie Jones were best on the night for the Rags.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  M.Dooley;  D.Stokes, M.Murphy, M.Brophy;  D.O’Connor, F.Aspell(0-1), N.Folan;  M.Kelly(0-2f), D.Hickey(Capt);  J.Lynch, W.Jones(0-1), J.Caplis;  D.Neill, R.Clarke, D.Keane(0-1).
Subs Used:  S.Lambe, G.Kelly, A.Carroll(0-2,1f), J.Daniels, K.Kelly.

Senior Div 4 South – Allenwood 2-16 Kilcullen 1-8 – Mon 23rd April 2012

Allenwood turned on the style in the second half of this game to take a convincing win over the Rags.   However, it was a more even game for a good part of the game than the final score suggests.   The first half was very enjoyable with quality football from both sides.  Allenwood took a 1-5 to 0-4 lead from the penalty spot, and Kilcullen replied instantly with a brilliantly executed goal from David Keane.    Allenwood scored a second goal before the Rags pulled a point back, and left the half-time score at Allenwood 2-5 Kilcullen 1-5, and all to play for.   However, the home side got the opening 5 points of the second half, and never looked back from there despite the Rags best efforts.
Danny Fisher played very well for Kilcullen, attacking well from half-back and landing two marvellous 45’s.    David Hickey, Willie Jones and David Keane all also did well.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  H.Barrett;  M.Brophy, F.Shortt, J.Lynch;  D.Fisher(0-3,2’45), N.Folan, J.Caplis(0-1);  D.Hickey, A.Carroll(0-2f), D.Keane(1-1);  R.Clarke, K.Fox, A.Timmons.
Subs Used: D.Phelan, M.Murphy.

Senior Div 4 South – Kilcullen 1-5 Athgarvan 0-8 – Mon 16th April 2012

A draw was a fair result after this game played in very windy conditions.   The Rags got off to a great start with a goal from full forward Kenny Fanning, but failed to take advantage of the strong wind at their backs for the remainder of the half.  Both sides scored two points each to leave the half-time score at Kilcullen 1-2 Athgarvan 0-2.   Athgarvan dominated the early stages of the second half and scored 5 unanswered points to tke a 0-7 to 1-2 lead.  However, the Rags battled their way back into the game with a couple of fine points from Fergus Aspell.  The visitors went ahead again, before Danny Fisher got a well deserved draw for the Rags from a long range free.
Best for Kilcullen were Fegus Aspell, Danny Fisher and Willie Jones.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  M.Dooley;  M.Brophy, M.Murphy, J.Caplis;  N.Folan, F.Aspell(0-3), D.Fisher(0-1f); M.Kelly, D.Hickey;  K.Fox, A.Carroll(0-1f), D.Keane;  W.Jones, K.Fanning(1-0), R.Clarke.
Subs Used: J.Lynch, K.Kelly, J.Westerman.

Senior Div 4 South – Kilcullen 2-6 Kildangan 2-8 – Mon 2nd April 2012

A stirring late come-back from the Rags wasn’t enough to deny Kildanagan victory in this opening Junior league fixture.   The balance of play in the opening half was very even, but the home side conceded two soft goals to hand Kildangan a 2-5 to 0-2 half-time lead.   Kilcullen refused to give in and gave their all in the second half, but failed to make much inroads on the scoreboard for most of the half.  But, trailing by 7 points with 10 minutes remaining, the Rags threw everyhting at Kildangan.   A goal mouth scramble finished with substitute Kenny Fanning finding the net.  This was followed soon after by a well-taken David Keane goal.  Kildangan responded with a point of their own, but the Rags had another couple of goal chances which could have snatched a late victory.   Kilcullen will be disappointed by not taking anything from the game, but encouraged at their refusal to give in, and will be hopeful of building on this in their upcoming games.
Veteran Fergus Aspell was the outstanding player on the field, while Johnny Caplis and David Hickey both also did well.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  R.Kiely;  D.Fisher, M.Murphy, J.Caplis; M.Dooley, F.Shortt, W.Jones;  M.Kelly(0-1), D.Hickey;  A.Carroll, F.Aspell(0-1), D.Keane(1-1);  R.Clarke, K.Kelly, S.Pembroke(0-3,2f).
Subs Used: K.Fanning(1-0), M.Brophy, G.Kenny, A.Timmons.