2013 Inter Reports

Intermediate Championship Relegation Final – Kill 1-13 Kilcullen 0-8 – Sat 28th Sept 2013

Kilcullen have been relegated to the Junior A Championship for the 2014 season after defeat to Kill in the relegation play-off final.  Kill got off to a great start with the opening two points, but the Rags came back, and it was a fairly even affair for the rest of the half, although Mark Dooley made a point blank save to stop Kill finding the net.  Kilcullen finished the half really strongly with 3 unanswered points from Paul Bell, Thomas Davis and Paul Jones to take a 0-7 to 0-5 half-time lead.
As in the opening half, Kill started brightly to bring the scores back level, but a brilliant long range free from Darren Barker put the Rags back in the lead at 0-8 to 0-7.  However, unfortunately this was to be Kilcullen’s final score of the game.  Kill took a 0-9 to 0-8 lead before a defensive mix-up by Kilcullen let Kill in for a goal chance that they gladly took.   Kill used all their experience to kill the game off from there, with veteran Tony Spain winning and converting frees to see out the game, as Kill took a 1-13 to 0-8 win.
Best for the Rags was 17 year old Graham Lavin, who led the line excellently upfront, and really deserved more for his efforts.  Gary Kenny, Ronan Toft and Paul Bell all also did well.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  Mark Dooley;  Gary Kenny, Franny Shortt, Ciarán McMahon(capt);  Shane O’Connor, John Lavin, Ronan Toft;  Darren Barker(0-1f), Howard Peacocke;  Paul Jones(0-2f), Brian Bell, Paul Bell(0-3,2f);  Graham Lavin(0-1), Thomas Davis(0-1), Jamie Lambe.
Subs Used:  Mark Brophy, Ross Coughlan, David Neill.

Intermediate Championship Relegation Semi-Final – Kilcullen 0-4 Nurney 3-14 – Sat 31st Aug 2012

by Tommy Callaghan

Nurney made light work of Kilcullen in this semi-final of the Joe Fox Tool & Plant Hire IFC relegation clash at St.Conleth’s Park, Newbridge.  And if this game is anything to go on then the proud Rags will have their work cut out as this was without question one of the poorest displays from a Kilcullen side from as far back as one can remember.  In this type of company one would expect that the class of Mikey Conway would stand out and it certainly did.  Conway showed all his silky skills spraying balls around with nonchalant ease covering at the back, linking up with the attack from start to finish and hitting some lovely points for good measure.  Both sides benefitted from a display from referee Dave Coady that could only be described as both generous and lenient in the extreme with a minimum of two players extremely fortunate to be still on the pitch when the final whistle arrived.  The signs in this came very early on.  Mikey Conway opened the scoring with a point after just 3 minutes, but a minute later a long ball into the Kilcullen danger area saw Mark Dooley struggle to control it and the ball fell to Andrew Behan who said thank you very much as he found the net.  3 more points followed before Kilcullen got off the mark with John Keatley raising a white flag to make it Nurney 1-4 Kilcullen 0-1 after just 16 minutes of play.  Goal no.2 arrived soon after when aball over the top by Patrick Higginbotham put Behan in again, this time he off-loaded to Martin Conway who found the net from close range.  Mikey Conway added a free before Paul Jones hit the last 2 points of the half to leave it at the break Nurney 2-5 Kilcullen 0-3.
Mikey Conway and Andrew Behan added quick points on the resumption before Martin Conway his his 2nd and his side’s 3rd goal on 38 minutes, Kevin Conway being the provider on this occasion.  Ciarán McMahon was extemely fortunate to only see yellow from the match official before Andrew Behan knocked over a point to make it 3-8 to 0-3.  Thomas Davis converted a free mid-way through and that was to be Kilcullen’s only score of the entire second half.  A few more incidents ensued with the match official deciding that on the day yellow card were sufficient, few, it has to be said in the small attendance would have agreed with him.  Mikey and Kevin Conway shared four points between them with Andre Behan hitting the final score of the game as Nurney ensure their Intermediate stataus with an ease few would have anticipated.  For Kilcullen it is all to do now and unless they can improve immeasurably from this tepid display, they will find themselves playing junior championship football come the season of 2014.

Kilcullen Line-up: Mark Dooley;  Mark Brophy, Willie Jones, Ciarán McMahon(capt);  Ronan Toft, John Lavin, Howard Peacocke; Johnny Browne, Franny Shortt;  Paul Bell, Darren Barker, Adam Phelan;  John Keatley(0-1), Paul Jones(0-2,1f), Brian Bell.
Subs Used:  Ross Coughlan, Thomas Davis(0-1f), Graham Lavin, David Neill.

Intermediate Championship – Kilcullen 0-8 Eadestown 2-9 – Sat 10th Aug 2013

Kilcullen lost out to Eadestown in this frustrating championship encounter.   Kilcullen were playing into a strong breeze in the first half, but despite this they started the brighter, and dominated the opening 15 minutes.  However, crucially they failed to land a single score during this spell of dominance while Eadestown scored 3 points from very limited supply.    Still, Kilcullen would have been reasonably content with a 3 point deficit against the wind, until disaster struck.    Mark Dooley attempted a short kick out to Brian Bell, but it was intercepted by Eadestown who stuck it in the Rags net.  Eadestown added a further two points before the break, while Franny Shortt got a point for Kilcullen, to leave the half-time score at Eadestown 1-5 Kilcullen 0-1.    Despite the 7 point deficit, the Rags still had a chance with the wind at their backs, but needed to get off to a flyer in the second half.   Unfortunately, the opposite was the case as Eadestown added a further 1-1 with an excellent goal from Cian Bolton.   It was game over then really, but to their credit, Kilcullen never gave in and tried everything to get back into the game, but Eadestown took a deserved 2-9 to 0-8 win.
Best for the Rags were Johnny Browne, Brian Bell and Howard Peacocke.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  Mark Dooley;  Mark Brophy, Willie Jones, Ciarán McMahon(capt);  Ronan Toft, Darren Barker, Howard Peacocke(0-1);  Franny Shortt(0-1), Johnny Browne;  Jamie Lambe, Brian Bell(0-1), Paul Bell(0-3f);  John Keatley, Thomas Davis(0-2), Adam Phelan.
Subs Used:  Shane O’Connor, Shane Lambe, Ben Foran, John Lavin.

Senior Div 3 – Kilcullen 2-10 Castlemitchell 2-8 – Sun 28th July 2013

Kilcullen finished their league campaign with their 3rd win in succession, as the Rags beat Castlemitchell by 2-10 to 2-8.  It was the visitors who got off to the better side, and had a 1-1 to 0-1 lead after 7 minutes.    However, they didn’t score again for the remainder of the half, as Kilcullen dominated.   The Rags added 5 points without reply, and it should have been more but for some poor wides.   The opposite was the case in the second half, as the home side had less posession, but were far less wasteful, scoring 2-4 from limited opportunities.   Castlemitchell had worked their way back into the game, but never closed the gap.  The Rags actually had a 2-10 to 1-8 lead at the end of normal time, before a Castlemitchell 45 was bundled to the net for a consolation injury time goal.
Franny Shortt was excellent in midfield for Kilcullen, Paul Jones and Brian Bell also did well, while John Keatley scored two excellent goals.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  Mark Dooley;  Ciarán McMahon(capt), Willie Jones, Mark Brophy;  Ronan Toft, Darren Barker, Dwayne O’Connor;  Franny Shortt(0-1), Adam Phelan;  Ben Foran(0-1), Paul Jones(0-2,1f), Paul Bell(0-4,2f);  John Keatley(2-0), Jamie Lambe, Brian Bell(0-1).
Subs Used:  Jamie Caplis, Thomas Davis(0-1).

Senior Div 3 – Rheban 0-9 Kilcullen 1-10 – Sun 21st July 2013

A depleted Rags side secured an excellent away win against a tough Rheban side in this game.  A penalty from Adam Phelan helped the Rags to a 1-4 to 0-3 half-time lead.    Kilcullen started the second half excellently as the young forward line showed great confidence and worked some excellent moves and scores.   They stretched their lead to 1-9 to 0-5.   Rheban had a chance to close the gap, but stand-in Rags keeper saved a penalty for the home side.   Rheban refused to give in, and kicked 4 points without reply, but the Rags had the final say for a 1-10 to 0-9 win.
Best for Kilcullen were Ronan Toft, John Lavin, Franny Shortt and Paul Bell.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  Thomas Davis;  Mark Brophy, Ciarán McMahon(capt), Jamie Caplis;  Ronan Toft, John Lavin, Niall Folan;  Franny Shortt(0-3), Adam Phelan(1-1,1-0pen,1f);  Graham Lavin, Martin Murphy, Ben Foran;  John Keatley(0-1f), Paul Bell(0-4,1f), Brian Bell.
Subs Used:  Jamie Lambe(0-1), Gary Kenny, David McMahon.

Senior Div 3 – Kilcullen 1-10 Rathcoffey 1-9 – Wed 10th July 2013

The young Rags side showed great spirit to bounce back from a heavy defeat to take a narrow victory over Rathcoffey.  The game was a credit to both teams, with both sets of player giving everything despite the sweltering heat.   The game was very even the whole way through with the visitors holding a 1-3 to 0-5 lead at half-time.   Midway through the second half, Rathcoffey seemed to be edging away from the Rags, and they held a 1-7 to 0-8 lead.   However, an excellent Kilcullen team move culminated in midfielder Franny Shortt finishing calmly to the Rathcoffey net to give the home side a one point lead.   Again, the visitors responded, and scored two points to take a 1-9 to 1-8 lead, but this was to be the Rags night and they equalized, before subsitute Adam Phelan’s injury time fisted effort ensured victory doe Kilcullen.   Kilcullen showed great courage to take victory from such a tight game having lost their previous two games.
Best for Kilcullen were Willie Jones, Howard Peacocke, Johnny Browne, Franny Shortt anf John Keatley.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  Mark Dooley;  Mark Brophy, Willie Jones, Ciarán MvMahon(capt);  Ronan Toft, John Lavin, Howard Peacocke;  Franny Shortt(1-2), Johnny Browne;  Paul Bell, Ben Foran, Graham Lavin;  John Keatley (0-4), Jamie Lambe(0-3), Brian Bell.
Subs Used:  Ross Coughlan, Adam Phelan(0-1).

Senior Div 3 – Two Mile House 5-14 Kilcullen 0-4 – Sun 7th July 2013

Kilcullen were missing a number of players for this game, although it was still a very disappointing game from the Rags.  Two Mile House were impressive, and will surely hard stopped in the Junior A Championship this year, but from a Kilcullen perspective it was a bad day at the office, and a tough lesson for the young Kilcullen side.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  Mark Dooley;  Mark Brophy, Willie Jones, Ciarán McMahon(capt);  Howard Peacocke, John Lavin, Ronan Toft;  Darren Barker(0-4f), Franny Shortt;  Dwayne O’Connor, Brian Bell, John Keatley;  Paul Bell, Ben Foran, Graham Lavin.
Subs Used:  David McMahon, Ross Coughlan, Jamie Caplis.

Senior Div 3 – Kilcullen 0-10 Milltown 1-9 – Mon 1st July 2013

Kilcullen were very disappointed not to take anything from this game, after an excellent first half display, meant they looked set for victory.   The Rags dominated the first half, and held a 0-9 to 0-4 lead, which probably should have been more, were it not for a combination of wastefulness in attack, and some brilliant goalkeeping by the Milltown keeper.   Kilcullen were well on top on midfield, and they put together a number of good attacking moves.   However, they would rue a number of missed goal chances.    After the break, Milltown battled their way back into the game, albeit with the help of a dubious penalty decision.  But, the Rags only scored one point in the second half, as a number of positional changes by the visitors meant they gained parity around the middle, and the home side struggled for posession.   Milltown went on to take a 1-9 to 0-10 win.
Best for Kilcullen were Howard Peacocke, Darren Barker and Franny Shortt.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  Mark Dooley; Ciarán McMahon(capt), Willie Jones, Mark Brophy;  Howard Peacocke, Franny Shortt, Ronan Toft;  Darren Barker(0-5f), Thomas Davis(0-1);  Ben Foran(0-1), Brian Bell(0-1), Paul Jones(0-1f), Paul Bell, Jamie Lambe(0-1), Niall Folan.

Senior Div 3 – Kilcullen 1-8 Nurney 0-13 – Sun 24th June 2013

The Rags were missing a number of regulars for this game for various reasons, and they struggled to get going in the first half as Nurney dominated midfield, and the visitors were well worth their 0-7 to 0-3 half-time lead.   However, in the second half, Kilcullen edged their way back into the game.  The substitutions worked for the home side as Gary Kenny found the net while Thomas Davis mad a huge difference in midfield.   The Rags were 3 points down going into injury time, but worked their way back into it again, and got within a point, and had a couple of chances to equalize. Unfortunately, it was to be Nurney who had the final say as they got a point to seal a hard fought 2 point win.  It was a poor game of football, although not due to any lack of effort on either side.   Best for Kilcullen were Brian Bell, Kieron Domican and sub Thomas Davis.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  Mark Dooley;  Mark Brophy, Shane O’Connor, Ciarán McMahon;  Ronan Toft, Willie Jones, Dwayne O’Connor;  Adam Phelan, Johnny Browne(0-1);  Kieron Domican(0-3f), Brian Bell, Paul Bell;  Ben Foran, Jamie Lambe(0-2), Paul Jones(0-2,1f).
Subs Used:  David McMahon, Gary Kenny(1-0), Thomas Davis.

Senior Div 3 – Kilcullen 1-19 Rheban 2-4 – Sun 19th May 2013

Despite a dodgy start where the Rags conceded two fortuitous goals to Rheban in the opening quarter, Kilcullen went on to win convincingly and put last week’s championship defeat behind them.   They were 1-1 to 0-1 down after a few minutes, and then went 0-7 to 1-1 up before a second Rheban goal brought the sides level at 0-7 to 2-1.   But thereafter the home side were dominant and went on to build up a 1-10 to 2-1 half-time lead, which could have been more were it not for a couple of excellent saves by former Kildare keeper Christy Byrne in the Rheban goals.    Kilcullen kept the pressure on in the second half and were well on top.  There was some excellent attacking moves and well-taken scores, and the Rags also got the opportunity to give some game time to some young substitutes.
Best for the Rags were Franny Shortt, David Hickey, Paul Jones and Shane Lambe.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  Mark Dooley;  Mark Brophy, Franny Shortt(0-1), Ciarán McMahon(capt);  Willie Jones, Shane O’Connor, Howard Peacocke;  Thomas Davis(1-0), Adam Phelan;  David Hickey(0-1), Darren Barker(0-5,1’45,3f), Paul Jones(0-4,1f);   Shane Lambe(0-5), Jamie Lambe(0-2), Paul Bell(0-1).
Subs Used:  Ronan Toft, Dwayne O’Connor, Kieran Domican, Ben Foran.

Intermediate Championship – Kilcullen 2-9 Ballyteague 1-14 – Sat 11th May 2013

Kilcullen lost out by 2 points but will take plenty of positives from a tough championship encounter against a seasoned Ballyteague side.  The Rags endured a nightmare start, when they would have been hoping to start strongly with the wind at their backs.   Instead it was the Larks who got off to the perfect start with an attempted clearance from Ciarán McMahon deflecting off Ballyteague forward Mick Hanley and into the Kilcullen net after 2 minutes.    Ballyteague then rattled off 3 points without reply to take a 1-3 to 0-0 lead.   Veteran Shane Lambe showed great leadership to his young team-mates at this stage and helped drag the Rags back into the game, with scores from Jamie Lambe and Darren Barker bringing the sides within a goal at 1-4 to 0-4.    It was then Ballyteague’s turn to concede a horror goal as their keeper Mark Curran scuffed a kick-out which went straight to Darren Barker who kicked it goalwards for Jamie Lambe to tap in and level the game.    Kilcullen then had a number of chances for further goals, which they would ultimately pay the price for.   However, the sides then traded points to leave the scores at 1-5 each at the break.
Ballyteague dominated early proceedings in the second half, as the wind the Rags were facing into grew stronger, and the Larks were taking full advantage with some fine long-range points.   However, just as Ballyteague were threatening to run away with the game, a good attacking move from Kilcullen resulted in referee Niall Colgan awarding a penalty, which was dispatched to the net by Darren Barker.   From there on in it was proper championship fare with the Rags trying desperately to level the gap, but every time they got within a point, Ballyteague would respond with a point of their own.   Ballyteague held out for a 1-14 to 2-9 win.   The Rags will rue their nightmare start and some missed goal chances at the end of the opening half, but can take plenty of positives from the game with a couple of important players missing, and a number of young players getting their first experience of championship football, which can only benefit them.     Shane Lambe was instumental at getting Kilcullen back into the game in both halves when the game was threatening to get away from his young team-mates.   He worked tirelessly and gave great vocal encouragement to his side.    Darren Barker was the outstanding player on the field, racking up 1-5 and being involved in most of Kilcullen’s scores, while Franny Shortt, Ronan Toft and Jamie Lambe all also did well.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  Fergus Aspell;  Mark Brophy, Franny Shortt, Ciarán McMahon(capt);  Willie Jones, Shane O’Connor, Ronan Toft(0-1);  Adam Phelan, Thomas Davis;  David Hickey, Darren Barker(1-5,1pen,3f), Howard Peacocke;  Paul Bell, Jamie Lambe(1-2), Shane Lambe(0-1f).
Subs Used:  Dwayne O’Connor, Barry Comerford.

Senior Div 3 – Rathcoffey 1-8 Kilcullen 0-13 – Wed 1st May 2013

Kilcullen had to work very hard for this victory, but were deserved winners.   Kilcullen struggled early on, as Rathcoffey were dominant in midfield, but the Rags worked their way back into the game.   The introduction of Howard Peacocke made the visitors more competitive around the middle, and the Rags finished the half strongly to take a 0-7 to 0-5 half-time lead which included 5 points from Darren Barker.  Jamie Lambe stretched the league to 4 points with an excellent point at the start of the second half, but the home side responded with 1-1 to level the scores.   It was a tight game thereafter, but the Rags did enough to see out the game in the end and take a 0-13 to 1-8 win.   With the championship coming up next week, it will have done Kilcullen no harm at all to have battled their way to a tough victory here.
Ciarán McMahon and Franny Shortt were solid at the back for the Rags, Darren Barker was excellent particularly in the first half, while Jamie Lambe scored 4 excellent points from play.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  Paul Jones;  Dwayne O’Connor, Franny Shortt, Ciarán McMahon;  Barry Comerford, Shane O’Connor, Willie Jones;  Ben Foran, Thomas Davis;  Adam Phelan, Darren Barker (0-6,4f), David Hickey;  Paul Bell(0-1), Jamie Lambe(0-4), Shane Lambe.
Subs Used:  Howard Peacocke, Cormac Aspell(0-2f), Ronan Toft.

Senior Div 3 – Kilcullen 1-4 Two Mile House 1-12 – Tue 23rd April 2013

Two Mile House were clear and deserving winners of this local derby, as they were much more clinical with their chances on the night.   They got off to a flying start racking up 4 points before the Rags got on the scoreboard.    Kilcullen then came more into the game, and responded with the next two scores with a good Brian Bell point and an excellent long range free from Darren Barker.    However, the House tagged on another point before the break, while the home side will rue a missed Brian Bell goal chance which brought an excellent save from the visitor’s keeper.    Kilcullen would have hoped to hit the ground running in the second half.  However, it was Two Mile House who again started the half the stronger, scoring a number of well-taken points.   To their credit, Kilcullen never gave in, but some wasteful shooting and poor decision making meant they never capitalised on a lot of their good build up play.   Barker did add a further pointed free while Adam Phelan scored a fine long range point from play.   The House were clinical with their chances, and to rub salt into the Rags wounds, former Kilcullen underage player Ben Merrins came off the bench to grab a fine goal for the visitors.    Paul Jones grabbed a late consolation goal for Kilcullen to bring the gap back to 8 points, which is certainly harsh on Kilcullen’s efforts, but Two Mile House ran out 1-12 to 1-4 winners.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  Ian Barker;  Mark Brophy, Franny Shortt, Ciarán McMahon;  Willie Jones, Ronan Toft, Niall Folan;  Adam Phelan(0-1), Thomas Davis; Paul Jones(1-0), Darren Barker(0-2f), David Hickey;  Brian Bell(0-1), Jamie Lambe, Paul Bell.
Subs Used:  Dwayne O’Connor, Barry Comerford, Shane Lambe, Ben Foran.

Senior Div 3 – Nurney 1-7 Kilcullen 2-12 – Sat 13th April 2013

The Rags won their second game in succession after an excellent 2-12 to 1-7 win away to Nurney.   The Rags put in an excellent attacking performance in the first half, taking a 2-7 to 1-3 half-time lead, with goals coming from Brian Bell and Jamie Lambe, and also scoring some excellent points form both frees and play.   The second half performance was also very impressive from the Rags, as while they might have only have scored 5 points in the second half, they defended solidly as Nurney tried desperately to get back into the game.    They also maintained their discipline, as things threatened to get out of hand towards the end of the game, which resulted in two Nurney players getting red cards.   After an indifferent start to the season, the Rags have now put in two very impressive displays in a row, which augurs well for the season ahead.
It was an excellent team performance by the Rags so it’s hard to single anyone out, but Franny Shortt performed very well, particularly at full back in the second half, Thomas Davis was dominant in midfield, while Paul Bell, Paul Jones and Darren Barker all did very well.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  Mark Dooley;  Mark Brophy, Howard Peacocke, Ciarán McMahon;  Willie Jones, Ronan Toft, Niall Folan;  Thomas Davis(0-2,1f), Franny Shortt;  Paul Jones(0-3,2f), Darren Barker(0-4,3f), David Hickey;  Brian Bell(1-0), Jamie Lambe(1-1), Paul Bell(0-2).
Sub Used:  Shane O’Connor.

Senior Div 3 – Kilcullen 4-19 Cappagh – Sat 6th April 2013

Kilcullen got their first won of 2013 in spectacular style with a brilliant 4-19 to 0-2 win over Cappagh.   The Rags got off to a flying start when an attempted point from David Hickey dropped into the net.   This slice of luck seemed to give great confidence to the home side, and they never looked back from there, and a Niall Folan point followed almost immediately.  Kilcullen pushed right up on the Cappagh defence and were clinical with their chances with some excellent point taking and further goals from Willie Jones and Darren Barker helped the Rags to a 3-10 to 0-0 half-time lead.   The game was over at this stage, and the Rags took the opportunity to introduce 5 subs in the second half, but they continued to dominate and racked up a further 1-9.    In fairness to Cappagh, they kept on trying throughout the game, but they encountered a Kilcullen side determined to put their disappointing start to the season behind them.   Kilcullen have tougher tests ahead, but a win like this can only breed confidence for the upcoming games.
Willie Jones did very well for Kilcullen attacking from half-back, the experienced Shane Lambe was a creative force throughout the game and also got a good goal in the second half, while Paul Jones, Brian Bell and Jamie Lambe scored some excellent points.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  Mark Dooly;  Mark Brophy, Howard Peacocke, Ciarán McMahon;  Willie Jones(1-0), Shane O’Connor, Niall Folan(0-1);  Thomas Davis(0-1), Dwayne O’Connor;  David Hickey(1-1), Darren Barker(1-3,2f), Paul Jones(0-6,1f);  Shane Lambe(1-0), Jamie Lambe(0-3), Brian Bell(0-3).
Subs Used:  Adam Phelan, Paul Bell(0-1f), Ben Foran, Martin Murphy, Ronan Toft.

Senior Div 3 – Milltown 2-8 Kilcullen 0-11 Sat 30th March 2013

Trailing by 4 points at half-time, two second half goals for Milltown left Kilcullen with two defeats from two so far this season.   It was Milltown who had the early advantage pointing twice within the opening 6 minutes.  The first from the boot of Myles O’Reilly before Eddie Owens pointed a second for the home side.  It took Kilcullen 8 minutes get on the scorebaord with a free from the boot of Shane Lambe opening their account.  This was to be the final action for ten minutes as Milltown pressed forward but to no avail as poor handling scuppered their chances.  Spurred on by this Kilcullen gathered their confidence to attack again.  This yielding a point from Paul Jones, as he slipped the tackle of two Milltown defenders to land a fine score from 35 yards.  A third Kilcullen point from Brian Bell had his side into a lead momentarily before a Ronan O’Shea point had the sides on level terms for the second time in 20 minutes.   Two points from centre forward Paul Jones, apoint from David Neill before points from Shane Lambe and Darren Barker had Kilcullen into a commanding 5 point lead four minutes from half-time.   Milltown struck late on in the half to leave the sides separated by 4 at half-time as a pass from Ian Fitzgerald had sent Wayne Digname clear to point from the home side.
Milltown needed a quick atart to the second half and this is exactly what they got, as 1-1 from Billy Scully had the sides level for a third and final time.  Kilcullen forced forward bringing saves from Milltown’s Seán Tranton the 39th and 42nd minutes, before finally settling for a point from Shane Lambe.   After trading a series of wides, the game inched into the closing stages with Kilcullen holding a 0-9 to 1-5 lead.  With 6 minutes remaining, Niall Kelly put the ball past keeper Mark Dooley and into the Kilcullen net to take a 2 point lead.   The sides then traded points back and forth through Kilcullen’s David Neill and Shane Lambe, and Scully and Mulhall for Milltown,  before Colin O’Shea sealed victory with a point for Milltown.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  Mark Dooley;  Mark Brophy, Howard Peacocke, Ciarán McMahon;  Ronan Toft, Willie Jones, Niall Folan;  Thomas Davis, Adam Phelan;  David Neill(0-3), Paul Jones(0-3), Darren Barker(0-1);  Shane Lambe(0-3), Jamie Lambe, Brian Bell (0-1)
Match report by Tara Byrne

Senior Div 3 – Kilcullen 0-9 Ballykelly 0-13 – Sat 23rd March 2013

Kilcullen opened their league camaign with a disappointing home defeat to Ballykelly.   The Rags had the wind at their backs in the first half but never really got going at all, and trailed by 0-5 to 0-3 at the break.   Indeed, they could have been further behind were it not for a brilliant point blank save by keeper Mark Dooley.   The Rags were improved in the second half, but couldn’t convert their posession into scores, and time and again attacks broke down, and Ballykelly capitalised with some excellent counter attacking scores.   The Rags did have a couple of chances for goals, both of which came the way of Darren Barker, one which resulted in a point, and the other came back off the post.   Meanwhile, Dooley pulled off another excellent save to stop the visitors extending their lead.   Ballykelly were much more clinical with their chances and deserved the win, while the Rags will need to improve if they want to be in the mix for promotion this season.
Best for Kilcullen were Mark Dooley, Darren Barker and Paul Jones.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  M.Dooley;  M.Brophy, F.Shortt, C.McMahon;  R.Toft, W.Jones, N.Folan;  D.Barker(0-1), H.Peacocke;  A.Phelan, B.Bell(0-1), B.Foran;  P.Jones(0-4,2f), C.Aspell(0-1f), P.Bell(0-2,1f).
Subs Used:  S.Lambe, T.Davis.

Keogh Cup Group D – Kilcullen 1-8 Ballyteague 4-10 – Wed 27th February 2013

The concession of 3 early goals left the Rags with too much to do in this Keogh Cup played under lights in Hawkfield.   Ballyteague got off to a flying start and had racked up 3-2 before Kilcullen got on the scoreboard.    After that, it was a very even contest but the damage was done.  The Larks got another goal in the first half to take a 4-4 to 0-3 half-time lead.   Kilcullen made a couple of changes at half-time with the introduction of Cormac Aspell particularly effective.  The Rags actually closed the gap to 6 points with Aspell grabbing 1-2 to leave the score at 4-5 to 1-8, but Ballyteague finished strongly to take a 4-10 to 1-8 win.
Best for an experimental Kilcullen were Darren Barker, Dwayne O’Connor and sub Cormac Aspell.

Kilcullen Line-up:  M.Dooley;  R.Toft, S.O’Connor, M.Brophy;  C.McMahon, H.Peacocke, D.O’Connor(0-1);  D.Barker(0-2), F.Shortt;  P.Bell, B.Bell, W.Jones (0-1);  B.Foran(0-1), T.Davis, P.Jones(0-1f).
Subs Used:  C.Aspell(1-2,2f), Adam Phelan, N.Folan.