2011 Inter Reports

Intermediate Championship Semi-Final – Kilcullen 0-7 Confey 2-14 – Sun 16th Oct 2011

Having beaten the pre-championship favourites Johnstownbridge in the previous round, Kilcullen went into this contest confident of causing another upset, but it was not to be as a combination of an excellent performance from Confey, and a below par Rags performance meant that the North Kildare men ran out comfortable and deserved winners.
It was even enough in the opening part of the game, and a brilliant save from the Confey keeper Keith O’Sullivan denied Jamie Lambe scoring an early goal for the Rags, after a trademark solo run.  The save seemed to bring Confey to life, and they went on to dominate the rest of the half, with only a few well-taken Paul Jones points troubling the scoreboard for Kilcullen, to leave it at Confey 1-9 Kilcullen 0-4 at the break.
There was to be miraculous Rags come-back this time, and Confey continued to dominate in the second half.  Kilcullen never lacked for effort, but unfortunately, they were beaten by a better team on the day, and Confey will now be favourites to go on and beat Ellistown in the final.  Best for the Rags were Darren Barker, Paul Jones and Warren Kinsella.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  P.Maher;  S.O’Connor, R.Aspell, G.Shanahan;  R.Toft, K.O’Brien, J.Lambe;  W.Kinsella, D.Barker;  P.Jones(0-4,3f), B.Bell, P.Bell;  C.Aspell, J.Whyte, S.Pembroke(0-2).
Subs Used: J.Burke, T.Davis(capt), S.Lambe, C.McMahon.

Challenge Match – Kilcullen 0-12 Annanough 2-10 – Sun 25th Sept 2011

An experimental Kilcullen line-up got a good run out against Annananough as both sides prepare for vital upcoming championship matches.  Two first half goals from the Laois side were the difference, but the Rags will be happy with a number of fringe players doing well and giving Kilcullen good back-up options for the upcoming intermediate championship semi-final.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  F.Shortt;  S.O’Connor, R.Aspell, N.Folan;  C.McMahon, J.Lambe(0-1), P.Bell(0-1);  E.Jennings, W.Kinsella;  P.Jones(capt)(0-4,1f), B.Bell, M.Murphy(0-1);  W.Jones, C.Aspell(0-3,2f), S.Pembroke(0-2).
Subs Used:  G.Shanahan, D.Barker, K.Kelly.

Intermediate Champ Quarter-Final Replay – Kilcullen 1-13 Johnstownbridge 1-11 – Sat 17th Sept 2011

The Rags produced a remarkable comeback that will live long in the memory of Kilcullen fans to advance to the Intermediate Championship semi-finals on a score of 1-13 to 1-11.   The Rags trailed by 1-10 to 0-2 at one stage of the first half, but refused to give in and outscored the championship favourites by 1-11 to 0-1 over the remained of the game.
With a strong wind at their backs Johnstownbridge came flying out of the blocks in the early stages of the game with Seán Hurley at full forward running riot, scoring a goal and an array of excellent points.   The Rags trailed by 11 points and even the most optimistic of Kilcullen fans would not have envisaged a way back for their team.   But the Rags finished the half strongly with a fine Shay Pembroke goal helping the Rags close the gap to 1-10 to 1-4 at the break.
Kilcullen the dominated the entire second half, with captain Thomas Davis introduced at the break helping the Rags get on top in midfield.  Johnstownbridge were forced to bring Seán Hurley, so effective at full forward in the first half, out to midfield, as Kilcullen were attacking in droves and scoring at will.  Cormac Aspell was in fine free-taking form,  while Darren Barker also got two wonderful scores.  Veteran Shane Lambe was also introduced during this period, and while he was still clearly not over his recent injury, he gave great leadership up front, won a number of frees, and was unlucky not to score a goal when his shot hit the crossbar and went over for a point.
The Rags sealed a brilliant win, and will now be confident of having a major say in the destination of this year’s Intermediate Championship.   Jamie Lambe, Darren Barker, Paul Jones and sub Thomas Davis all excelled for Kilcullen in an excellent all-round team performance and comeback.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  P.Maher;  S.O’Connor, R.Aspell, G.Shanahan;  J.Lambe(0-1), K.O’Brien, R.Toft;  W.Kinsella, D.Barker(0-2,0-1’45);  P.Jones(0-2), B.Bell, P.Bell;  C.Aspell(0-5f), J.Whyte, S.Pembroke(1-2).
Subs Used:  T.Davis(capt), S.Lambe(0-1).

Intermediate Champ Quarter-Final – Kilcullen 0-11 Johnstownbridge 2-5 – Sat 10th Sept 2011

An injury time point from Paul Bell gave the Rags a hard earned draw in this pulsating clash played in Raheens, as both teams live to fight another day next weekend.   The wind was a significant factor in this game, and Kilcullen took advantage of the conditions to score the opening 5 points of the game, with two well-taken frees each from Cormac Aspell and Paul Jones, and a fine solo point from Shay Pembroke.   Johnstownbridge then scored a goal against the run of play following a mix-up in the Rags defence.  Another Kilcullen point was then cancelled out by a Johnstownbridge penalty which brought the sides level.   Kilcullen did take 0-7 to 2-0 lead into the break, after a Darren Barker point, but would have been disappointed to only have a single point lead after their dominance, and having to face the breeze in the second half.
However, it was the men in black and white who were on top in the third quarter of the game, but Johnstownbridge then had a period of dominace which brought them back level, Kilcullen 0-10 JTB 2-4.   The last 10 minutes were a tense affair, as Johnstownbridge were very wasteful with their shooting, while Kilcullen were tending to over-elaborate with their attacks, although that can be forgiven given the strong wind they were facing.   The Bridge finally took the lead with minutes remaining, and looked set for victory before Paul Bell had the final say on proceedings with a composed finish after a great Kilcullen move.
Kevin O’Brien, Darren Barker, Paul Bell and subsitute Warren Kinsella all excelled for the Rags, while Seán Hurley and Cathal McNally stood out for Johnstownbridge.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  P.Maher;  S.O’Connor, R.Aspell, G.Shanahan;  J.Lambe(0-1), K.O’Brien, R.Toft;  D.Barker(0-1), J.Burke;  P.Jones(0-2f), B.Bell, P.Bell(0-2);  C.Aspell(0-3f), J.Whyte, S.Pembroke(0-1).
Sub Used:  W.Kinsella.

Intermediate Championship – Kilcullen 1-11 Caragh 0-9 – Sat 27th August 2011

Kilcullen took a long time to get going in this game, but in the end ran out convincing and deserved winers, to clinch a place in the quarter finals of the Intermediate Championship.  The game was a poor spectacle in the first half, as the Rags who were missing a couple of regulars through injury, struggled to get into any sort of rhythm.  Two good points from play for Paul Bell were the highlight for Kilcullen, as Caragh took a 0-5 to 0-3 half-time lead.
However, Kilcullen were much improved in the second half, and although Caragh got the first score of the half, the Rags then scored 4 points without reply to take the lead for the first time in the game.  Kilcullen were now well on top, but still hadn’t put Caragh away until a brilliantly taken Shay Pembroke goal.  Caragh tried their best to respond, but Kilcullen’s defence stood strong, and the Rags saw out the game and added a couple of late points to seal a well earned victory.
Paul Bell played very well for Kilcullen, contributing 4 fine points from play, while Shane O’Connor, Kevin O’Brien, Darren Barker and substitute Ronan Toft all also excelled.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  P.Maher;  S.O’Connor, R.Aspell, G.Shanahan;  J.Lambe, K.O’Brien, J.Burke;  T.Davis(capt), D.Barker(0-2);  C.Howard(0-1f), B.Bell(0-1), P.Bell(0-4);  P.Jones(0-1), J.Whyte(0-2,1f), S.Pembroke(1-0).
Sub Used:  R.Toft.

Celebrity Bainisteoir – Kilcullen 2-6 Lissan 2-9 – Sun 21st August 2011

Kicullen and Brenda Donohue’s Celebrity Bainisteoir adventure ended on Sunday with a three point defeat to St Michael’s, Lissan from Derry but the memories from their time on the RTE programme will last a lifetime.

A crowd like never before seen at the Kilcullen grounds turned out to support the Rags and although the result wasn’t as most wanted, the club will hope that they can convert many of the casual supporters who showed up on the day to full time GAA followers.
The free admission on the gates helped boost the attendance and there was plenty of fun and refreshments for those present and the action on the pitch was as tasty as the burgers on sale.
Anybody who was expecting this to be a gentle game between two sides more concerned with their local championships were in for a shock as they went toe to toe from the first whistle.
Kilcullen full forward Shane Lame and Lissan full back Oran Donnelly clashed as early as the fourth minute with the Derryman receiving a yellow card that proved crucial when he picked up a second later in the game.
Cheered on the boisterous supporters, the home side started well but even in the early stages they kicked a couple of bad wides that they would regret come the final whistle.
An early 0-2 to 0-1 Kilcullen lead was turned into a 0-3 to 0-2 Lissan lead by the 16th minute but Kilcullen once again took charge in the latter part of the half.
Kevin O’Brien was unlucky not to hit the back of the net in the 18th minute when his shot beat ‘keeper Steven Conway but Kevin McElduff got back to block on the line.
Shay Pembroke levelled the scores four minutes before the half time break and then two minutes later, Kilcullen moved ahead thanks to the first goal of the game.
A lovely team move cut through the Lissan defence leaving O’Brien bursting through once more but this time he laid the ball off to John Whyte who blasted to the back of the net.
The same player added a point before Lissan captain Darren Donnelly landed a ’45 in injury time.
There was a lengthy half time break as the two celebrity managers, Donohue in the Kilcullen dressing room and Dana on the Lissan side, did their half time talks for the camera’s but the break proved to be more beneficial for the visitors.
They scored three points in a row within 11 minutes of the restart to level the game and then in the 43rd minute Paddy Coey shot to the back of the net following Kieran Donnelly’s pass.
It was all Lissan at that stage but Kilcullen were right back in it a minute later when Jamie Lambe, who along with Darren Barker had represented Kildare in the All-Ireland final less than 24 hours earlier, sped his way through the Lissan defence before shooting home. No Derrydefender could get near Lambe as he bore down on goal but once he had got his shot away Oran Donnelly hit him with a late tackle and collected a second yellow for his troubles.
A Shane Lambe point put Kilcullen ahead but a very soft Lissan goal when they waltzed through the centre of the home defence before Eamon McElduff found the net proved the difference.
Cormac Aspell’s free cut the gap between the sides to one with nine minutes to play but injury time points from midfielders O’Hagan and Quigley sealed the win for the Ulstermen. Substitute Paul Bell picked up a second yellow in injury time to add to Kilcullen’s misery.
The result was a disappointing end to what has been a fantastic journey but Kilcullen must now refocus and concentrate on picking up the two points that would book them a place in the quarter finals of the intermediate championship when they play Caragh this weekend.
St Michael’s: Steven Conway; Kevin McElduff, Oran Donnelly, Barry McGarvey, Barry McRory, Peter McClone 0-1, Ronan Laverty; Kevin O’Hagan 0-2, Michael Quigley 0-1; Stephen McCrory, Niall Convery, Darren Donnelly 0-1 (’45), Charles McCann 0-1, Paddy Coey 1-2 (1f), Eamon McElduff 1-1. Subs: Kieran Donnelly for Convery, 34; John Redmond for Laverty, 46.
Kilcullen: Paddy Maher; Ciaran McMahon, James Burke, Shane O’Connor, Jamie Lambe 1-0, Brian Bell, Kevin O’Brien; Thomas Davis, Darren Barker; John Whyte 1-2, Paul Jones, Christy Howard 0-1f, Cormac Aspell 0-1f, Shane Lambe 0-1, Shay Pembroke 0-1. Subs: Ger Shanahan for McMahon, 42; Paul Bell for Jones, 49; Johnny Browne for Aspell, 59.

Match Report by Ger McNally (Kildare Nationalist).

Intermediate Championship – Kilcullen 1-12 Sallins 1-11 – Sat 13th August 2011

A late Cormac Aspell point gave the Rags the victory after this pulsating clash in Moorefield.  It might not have been outstanding football at times, but it was a hard fought championship match that you couldn’t take your eyes off for a moment.
The Rags opened the scoring with a well taken Shay Pembroke goal, but Sallins soon cancelled this out, with some well taken points. The rest of the half was an even affair, and Kilcullen looked strong favourites at half-time with a 1-7 to 0-9 lead at the break, having played against a strong wind.
However, it was Sallins who came firing out of the blocks to take the lead in the early part of the second half. It was a very physical game in the second half, and after Darren Barker was shown a second yellow by the referee, and Sallins were in front by 1-11 to 1-9, it looked all over for the Rags.  But to their credit, they rallied and scored the last 3 points of the game to take a deserved victory.
Kilcullen will be delighted to have eked out victory after a tough game, and Cormac Aspell, John Whyte, Thomas Davis and Shane Lambe all did well for the Rags.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  P.Maher;  C.McMahon, J.Burke, S.O’Connor;  J.Lambe, D.Barker, B.Bell;  T.Davis(capt), K.O’Brien;  P.Jones(0-3,1f), J.Whyte(0-2), P.Bell;  C.Aspell(0-6,4f), S.Lambe(0-1), S.Pembroke(1-0).
Subs Used:  G.Shanahan, C.Howard.

Senior Div 2 – Ballymore 0-11 Kilcullen 0-11 – Sun 7th August 2011

The old cliche of a game of two halves was true in this game as Ballymore dominated the first half, and will feel they should have been further ahead at half-time, while the Rags dominated after the break, and could have won the game.  However, a draw was probably a fair result in a good tough game that should stand to both sides in their respective championship matches next week.
Ballymore held a 0-7 to 0-5 lead at half-time with Tommy Archbold and Shane Kavanagh causing the Kilcullen defence plenty of problems, with Paddy Maher keeping Kilcullen in the game with two excellent saves. The Rags were much improved in the second half, as they began to get on top in midfield and Jamie Lambe’s runs from the half-back line causing panic in the Ballymore defence.  They deservedly got back level, and had chances to win the game in the last few minutes, but will be satisfied with the draw and will hope to replicate the second half showing over the full game next weekend.
Best for Kilcullen was Cormac Aspell, scoring a fine point from play and four excellent frees, a couple of which he won himself.  Shane O’Connor, Brian Bell and substitue Johnny Browne all also did well.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  P.Maher;  R.Aspell, J.Burke, S.O’Connor;  J.Lambe(0-1), D.Barker(0-1 ’45), K.O’Brien;  W.Kinsella, T.Davis(capt);  P.Jones, B.Bell(0-2), P.Bell;  C.Aspell(0-5,4f), S.Lambe, S.Pembroke(0-1).
Subs Used:  J.Browne(0-1), C.McMahon, J.Whyte, G.Shanahan.

Senior Div 2 – Kilcullen 3-10 Suncroft 1-7 – Fri 22nd July 2011

Kilcullen out last week’s defeat to Kill behind them, to get back to winning ways with an excellent 3-10 to 1-7 win over local rivals Suncroft, scoring 3-9 from play in the process.  The game took a while to get going, and 12 minutes had elapsed before Cormac Aspell opened the scoring with a fine point, after good work from Shay Pembroke. Proceedings were still even enough, with Anthony Rainbow and John Browne both doing well in defence for the Croft.  But, when Paul Jones got the opening goal of the game, the Rags never really looked back from there.  The home side went on to dominate the rest of the half, with a magnificent long range Thomas Davis point and a well-taken Shane Lambe goal, the pick of the scores as the home side took a 2-5 to 0-3 half-time lead.
Kilcullen took a while to get going at the start of the second half, but Suncroft failed to take sufficient advantage, before the Rags clicked into gear again.   The Rags attack were now on top with Shay Pembroke getting a couple of points and a third goal for the home side, while Paul Jones and Paul Bell both got good points, as Kilcullen saw the game out and won by 3-10 to 1-7.
Best for Kilcullen were Jimmy Burke, Brian Bell, Paul Jones and Shay Pembroke.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  D.McMahon;  R.Aspell, J.Burke, G.Shanahan;  R.Toft, B.Bell, C.McMahon;  W.Kinsella, T.Davis(capt)(0-1);  P.Bell(0-1), P.Jones(1-2), J.Whyte;  C.Aspell(0-2,1f), S.Lambe(1-1), S.Pembroke(1-3).
Subs Used:  J.Browne, C.Howard, W.Jones, D.Hickey, M.Murphy.

Senior Div 2 – Kill 1-7 Kilcullen 0-9 – Sun 17th July 2011

Kill scored two late points to put an end to Kilcullen’s winning streak after a hard fought encounter.  In a game played and windy and drizzly conditions, the Rags struggle to get into the game in the first half, as the home side battled to a 1-5 to 0-4 half-time lead.  The visitors reshuffled their pack in the second half, and with the influential Darren Barker now at centre half-back, the Rags clawed their way back into the game, with some excellent free-taking from Cormac Aspell and a fine 45 from Barker.  When a Shane Lambe point gave Kilcullen a 0-9 to 1-5 lead, the Rags looked certian to go on and claim the victory.   But to their credit, Kill refused to give in, and scored two excellent late points to seal an important victory for them in their relegation battle, and to dent Kilcullen’s promotion hopes.   Best for Kilcullen were Darren Barker, Ger Shanahan and Christy Howard.

Kilcullen Line-Up:  P.Maher;  D.Barker(0-1’45), J.Burke, G.Shanahan;  R.Toft, B.Bell, C.McMahon;  T.Davis(capt), W.Kinsella;  C.Howard(0-2f), J.Lambe(0-1), P.Bell;  C.Aspell(0-3f), S.Lambe(0-1), J.Whyte(0-1).
Subs used:  K.O’Brien, P.Jones, S.Pembroke.

Senior Div 2 – Raheens 2-9 Kilcullen 3-11 – Wed 13th July 2011

The Rags put in a brilliant second half display to take victory in this brusing encounter away to Raheens. Kilcullen were losing by 1-6 to 0-3 at half-time, but scored 3-8 in the second half to take the points, and a fifth win in succesion in Senior Divison 2.  An early second half goal by Christy Howard brought the visitors back into the game, and the Rags began to look much more potent in attack. The teams traded points before Darren Barker, who was the outstanding player on the field scored a fortuitous second goal for Kilcullen, after an attempted point went into the net.   Kilcullen were now dominant, and substitute Shay Pembroke was causing panic in the home defence.  There was nothing lucky about the third Rags goal, as a brilliant team move from defence to attack culminated in Pembroke dummying in front of the Raheens keeper before finishing to the net.   Raheens got a late consolation goal, but the visitors aw the game out to win by 3-11 to 2-9.

Man of the match was Darren Barker, who excelled in defence in the first half, and midfield after the break, while Brian Bell, Christy Howard, Jamie Lambe and sub Shay Pembroke all also did very well.

Kilcullen Line-Up:   P.Maher;  D.Barker(1-1), R.Aspell, S.O’Connor;  R.Toft, B.Bell, C.McMahon;  W.Kinsella, T.Davis(capt)(0-2);  C.Howard(1-0), J.Lambe, G.Shanahan;  C.Aspell(0-3f), S.Lambe(0-2), P.Bell.
Subs Used:  J.Burke, S.Pembroke(1-2), M.Murphy, N.Folan(0-1).

Senior Div 2 – Allenwood 1-13 Kilcullen 4-9 – Sat 25th June 2011

Kilcullen had an excellent win away to Allenwood today, with a first half goal blitz helping the Rags to victory.  After an even start, when both sides had two points each on the scoreboard, Kilcullen actually had a penaly saved, when the Allenwood keeper made a good save from Paul Jones’ spot-kick.  Allenwood then got the first goal of the game after a goalmouth scramble, to lead by 1-2 to 0-2.  The sides traded points before Cormac Aspell was left one on one with the home keeper, the keeper saved Aspell’s initial attempt, but he scored with the rebound.  Kilcullen got two further goals in the first half, with Aspell getting a fortuitous second after a long range free went into the net, while the second was the result of a brilliant team move that culminated in Christy Howard burying the ball in the Allenwood net.  The Rags held a 3-5 to 1-7 half-time lead.

The entertainment and good football continued in the second half, with some great scores from both sides.  Allenwood refused to give in, with star or last year’s Kildare Minor team Jonathan Byrne was causing plenty of problems for Kilcullen’s defence.  However, the Rags were still attacking well themselves and added a further 1-4 in the second half, including a well-taken goal from Paul Bell.   Best for Kilcullen were Shane O’Connor, Darren Barker, Jamie Lambe, Paul Bell and Cormac Aspell.

Kilcullen Line-up:  P.Maher;  S.O’Connor, R.Aspell, D.Barker;  R.Toft, B.Bell, C.McMahon;  J.Lambe, W.Kinsella;  P.Bell(1-1), P.Jones, C.Howard(1-0);  C.Aspell(2-5,1-5f), S.Lambe(0-1), J.Whyte(0-1).
Subs Used:  W.Jones, G.Shanahan(0-1), M.Murphy.

Senior Div 2 – Kilcullen 2-7 Clane 0-14 – Sun 15th May 2011

An understrength Rags side put in a good display against a good Clane side yesterday, but ultimately it wasn’t enough to deny Clane a deserved victory.   Kilcullen held a 1-5 to 0-7 lead at the break, with their full forward line looking particularly dangerous when the home side were able to work the ball into them.   Shay Pembroke was the main threat and he scored a well-taken goal after a defence splitting pass from John Whyte.   Clane were much improved in the second half, and could have held a bigger lead, only for some poor wides and two point blank saves from Paddy Maher.    So, when Pembroke got his second goal, this time from the penalty spot, the Rags were only a point down in injury time, and had chances to at least level the game.    Despite not taking anything from the game, Kilcullen will be encouraged that despite missing a number of regulars, they ran a side that only last week gave the county champions Moorefield a real fright in the Senior Championship, very close.     Best for the Rags were Paddy Maher, Paul Jones, Cormac Aspell, Shay Pembroke and substitute Shane Lambe.

Kilcullen Line-Up:   P.Maher;  S.O’Connor, R.Aspell, D.Fisher;  B.McMahon, B.Bell(0-1), C.McMahon;  J.Burke, K.O’Brien;  C.Howard, J.Whyte, P.Bell;  P.Jones(0-3f), C.Aspell(0-2,1f), S.Pembroke(2-1,1-0pen).
Subs Used:  S.Lambe, J.Browne, W.Jones.

Intermediate Championship – Kilcullen 1-9 Raheens 0-12 – Sat 7th May 2011

A last gasp Thomas Davis point for Kilcullen denied Raheens a championship victory in Moorefield last Saturday evening.   Kilcullen wing-foward Paul Bell got the first score of the game with a point in the sixth minute before Reddy Coffey hit back for Raheens with an immediate response.  The first 20 minutes were like a sparring match as Kilcullen scored their second point of the game through Christy Howard.  That lead lasted two minutes as Raheens levelled the game up with a point from Cathal Carr before Alan Igoe put his side in front for the first time with an excellent point just inside the opposition’s 45.  A hefty challenge from Raheens half-back Shane Power on Shay Pembroke meant that Cormac Aspell would score the resulting free.   Cathal Carr restored Raheens’ lead scoring his second point of the game with a super solo point.   Paul Jones got his name on the scoresheet for the first time in the game, receiving the ball from a short 45 and slotting it over the bar, catching the Raheens defence off guard.  Although it was Raheens who would finish out the half strongest with a point each for Noel Byrne and Declan Curran, leaving the score 0-6 to 0-4 at the break.

Raheens started the second half just as they had finished the first, with a point from Alan Igoe.  Paul Jones reduced Raheens lead to two points as he fisted the ball straight over the back spot.  Hard work by the other corner forward Shay Pembroke finally paid off as he was involved in Kilcullen’s goal, drawing the tackle from Raheens full-back Alan Percival and fisting it over his head to the unmarked Cormac Aspell to bury the ball in the back of the net, giving Kilcullen a one point lead.  That lead was short-lived as Alan Igoe scored his third point of the game making it level once again.   However, two Cormac Aspell frees in 30 seconds saw Kilcullen take a two point lead.   That was before Raheens’ Shane Cooke scored two points in quick succession.  Kilcullen goalkeeper Paddy Maher mad a point blank save from Stephen Riordan at a crucial time in the game.  Shane Cooke scored the resulting ’45 giving Raheens a one point advantage.  Cormac Aspell scored another free for Kilcullen to level the scores before Alan Igoe thought he had won the game for Raheens with a free kick in the final two minutes, but that was not to be.  With the final kick of the game Thomas Davis got a vital score to ensure Raheens would not gain victory this time round.

Kilcullen:  P.Maher;  K.O’Brien, R.Aspell, D.Fisher;  R.Toft, B.Bell, C.McMahon;  T.Davis(capt), W.Kinsella;  C.Howard(0-1), J.Whyte, P.Bell(0-1);  P.Jones(0-2), C.Aspell(1-4,3f), S.Pembroke.
Subs Used:  D.Barker, J.Lambe.

Raheens:  N.Rooney;  P.O’Brien, A.Percival, G.Byrne;  A.Campbell, S.Power, T.Earley;  A.Igoe(0-4,1f), T.Dunleavy;  N.Byrne, D.Earley, C.Carr(0-2);  S.Cooke(0-3,1’45), R.Coffey(0-1), D.Curran(0-1).
Sub Used:  S.Riordan.

Senior Div 2 – Caragh 1-8 Kilcullen 2-8 – Fri 22nd April 2011

Kilcullen had a hard fought win over Caragh, on a score-line of 2-8 to 1-8.    The Rags started well and got the opening three points of the game, but Caragh started to get a hold on midfield, which resulted in them finishing the half stronger.   A scrappy first half finished with both teams having scored four points.    The early stages of the second period were equally as tight and low-scoring as the first half, until Shane Lambe was brought down in the square.   Shay Pembroke made no mistake with the resulting penalty to put Kilcullen two points up.   However, in a matter of minutes, Caragh were awarded a penalty of their own, which was drilled to the net.   The teams traded another couple of points, before Pembroke received a great pass from Paul Bell, and the young corner forward made the most of his opportunity, running straight at goal, and deftly beating the keeper at his near post.   Late points from Christy Howard and Jamie Lambe sealed the victory for the Rags.
Shay Pembroke and Shane Lambe excelled for the Rags, making the most of any ball that came their way, while Kevin O’Brien and Paul Bell also did well.

Kilcullen Line-Up:   P.Maher;   C.McMahon, R.Aspell, D.Fisher;   K.O’Brien, B.Bell, R.Toft;   T.Davis(capt), J.Lambe(0-1);   C.Howard(0-2,1f), J.Whyte, P.Bell(0-1f);   S.Lambe(0-1), W.Kinsella, S.Pembroke(2-3,1-0pen).

Senior Div 2 – Kilcullen 1-11 Clogherinkoe 1-13 – Sun 17th April

Kilcullen suffered a disappointing defeat to Clogherinkoe at home yesterday.   The Rags just didn’t show up in the first half, and the visitors held a 1-8 to 0-2 half-time lead, with the quick direct ball into the Clogherinkoe forwards causing the home side all sorts of trouble.     However, whatever Rags manager Dessie Brennan said to his troops at half-time had the desired effect, as Kilcullen were a different side in the first 20 minutes of the second half.     They scored 1-7 without reply, including a well taken Shay Pembroke penalty to lead by 1-9 to 1-8.    The momentum seemed to be with Kilcullen at this stage but Clogherinkoe were not about to throw the towel in that easily, and regrouped to make it a very even tense affair in the latter stages.   Kilcullen held a 1-11 to 1-10 lead with 5 minutes remaining, but Clogherinkoe scored 3 late points to take a 1-13 to 1-11 win.     The Rags will be disappointed to have fought so magnificently to get back into the game, only for the visitors to kick on again and take the victory.  However, they can take heart from the football they played in the opening 20 minutes of the second half, and will look to reproduce that over 60 minutes in the coming games.
Despite finishing on the losing side, Thomas Davis was the outstanding player on the field, he dominated midfield and drove Kilcullen’s fightback in the second half.    Ger Shanahan, Shane Lambe and Brian Bell also performed well for the Rags.

Kilcullen Line-Up:   D.Barker;   K.O’Brien, R.Aspell, D.Fisher;   R.Toft, B.Bell, G.Shanahan(0-1);   T.Davis(capt)(0-1), W.Kinsella(0-1);   C.Howard(0-2,1f), J.Lambe(0-1), P.Bell(0-2f);   W.Jones, S.Lambe(0-1), S.Pembroke(1-2,1-0pen).
Subs Used:   J.Whyte, D.Hickey.

Senior Div 2 – Kilcullen 3-13 Milltown 1-9 – Sat 2nd April

Kilcullen started their league campaign today with a convincing win over Milltown.  The Rags signalled their intent from the start with great moves, culminating in early points from Shay Pembroke and Paul Bell.  Pembroke then appeared to be fouled in the square when through on goal, but the referee ignored Kilcullen’s penalty claims.  However, luck was on Kilcullen’s side when Jamie Lambe’s attempt for a point dropped in over the Milltown keeper and into the back of the net for the opening goal.  The Rags workrate all over the field was particularly impressive, and 7 different scorers helped the home side to a 1-9 to 0-4 half time lead.
When Paul Bell blasted to the net for the opening score of the second half, the game was effectively over as a contest.  Kilcullen kept the pressure on, despite the worsening weather conditions in the second half.  The Rags kept adding to their total, including a well taken goal from the hard working Willie Jones.  A late consolation goal for Milltown, meant the game finished 3-13 to 1-9 to Kilcullen.   The Rags will be delighted to have started in such an impressive fashion, which will give them confidence for the tougher tasks ahead.   Best for Kilcullen were Brian Bell, Jamie Lambe, Warren Kinsella, Paul Jones and Paul Bell.
Kilcullen Line-Up:   P.Maher;  C.McMahon, R.Aspell, D.Fisher;   R.Toft(0-1), B.Bell(0-1), F.Shortt;  J.Lambe(1-2), W.Kinsella;   C.Howard(0-1), P.Jones(0-1), P.Bell(1-5,2f);  W.Jones(1-0), C.Aspell, S.Pembroke(0-2),.
Subs Used:   N.Folan, D.Hickey, B.McMahon, K.O’Brien, K.Kelly.